mkn design is small, yet experienced design and illustration studio.
Motivated by problem-solving through research, questioning, and listening–resulting in thoughtful, compelling experiences for brands around the world.
• Research and insight
• Creative and art direction
• Creative strategy
• Brand and visual identity
• Web design
• Conference and exhibit design
• Packaging design
• Editorial design
• Book design
• Signage and wayfinding
Michael work's closely and collaboratively with clients throughout the design process– which is transparent, strategic, and with great attention to design and illustrative craftsmanship. Interested in partnering with mkn design? Or want to lean more about process and experience–inquire here.
mkn design Background:
mkn design was started thriteen years ago and is led by Michael Nÿkamp; owner, experienced creative director, designer and illustrator. Born in Ontario, Canada and currently living in the Great Lakes region of Michigan. He specializes in visual identities, printed matter and illustrative solutions with an emphasis on understanding empathy to solve cleints design problems.
His only complaint (politely filed, of course) is that there are never enough pencils in the office.
Awards and Accolades:
• Monsa Publications – featured work of Urban Totem for the book, Skate, Surf and Art (2017)
• Dwell Magazine – design and illustration work featured on dwell.com and in the issue of Dwell
Magazine, December (2016)
• Design for Good, Identity System – AIGA Behance Project Feature (2015)
• AIGA Baltimore, Blue Ridge & University of Baltimore – O! Say, Can You Design a Poster?" – Award
of Excellence (2014)
• AIGA Philadelphia Animate! – Fellow Award Gif Animation (2014)
• Communication Arts – Typography Annual Award (2014)
• American Advertising Awards – Creative Excellence for Steelcase.com (2000)
• Heinz Jordan Award – Best in Show, Sheridan College and Heinz Jordan (1998)
• Moss Yaw Design Studio – On the intersection of architecture and illustration (2016)
• Dwell – 7 People to Follow on Dwell Right Now (2016)
• Nook – Redesigning Nook’s Search With Style Architecture Icons (2016)
• CanUX – Face Behind the Faces (2014)
• Neenah Paper – Collaboration, Freedom, Purpose (2014)
• Rapid Growth – A Designer, a Typographer and an Illustrator Walk into a Bar... (2014)
• The Rapidian – Artists Collaborate to Raise Awareness of Area Design Talent (2014)
• Mutually Human, blog post – Countdown to MWUX (2013)
• MiBiz – The Art of Hustling: Freelancers must find balance with self-employment (2012)
Showcased work on Dwell: